Saturday, March 16, 2013

Speak English, People!

There are two places in the United States where I, a caucasian male, feel like the minority. Those places being Disney World and airports. As I was walking through the Dallas/Ft Worth airport, I realized spanish would be a very good language to pick up.

Here in the airport I am sitting at my gate waiting to board. This Asian flight concierge worker repetitively said the same conglomeration of words over and over and over again. This got extremely annoying and to the point it was comical. Then it came time for our flight to board and the spanish concierge worker kept announcing boarding assignments. It would have been nice if I knew what she was saying, but i had to take my best guess.

To me, if I am in an airport, in america have you, the workers should speak english. In Mexico they should speak spanish, and in Germany, they should speak german. It really bugs me when I am am trying to order food in America and i cant understand a single word the worker is saying. This is America people, speak the native vernacular please.

Im not saying the workers cant speak spanish or any other language at all, but they should first speak the native language, then go into the translations. Just because i am going to Mexico does not mean i am able to speak spanish.

Disney world is a whole different story. There is barely anyone, worker or visiter, that speaks english. Its either spanish, or Chinese, or Vietnamese, or german, but rarely english. I just don't get it one bit! Why does no one speak english on vacations? Maybe if i traveled to like Wisconsin the would speak english, but then a gain, if i go to the Dells, they all speak spanish. There is absolutely nothing wrong with spanish, i just would rather they speak english here in America. (WC 319)

No comments:

Post a Comment