Sunday, September 16, 2012

Fantasy Frenzy

One aspect of the NFL is fantasy football. It is pretty much a game within a game. People draft players and get points based on how well that player does on a given week. After every week team "owners" go looking for better players to create the best, highest scoring, roster possible. What makes fantasy football hard, is that you never really know what a player will do each game, and how many or how few points a player will score.

For me fantasy football is a battle I face. I want to cheer for my favorite team, yet for fantasy football I have to cheer for the players on my team. It makes it difficult for me to pick my battles. It is even more difficult when players on my fantasy team are on my favorite team as well and I start cheering for a rushing touchdown rather than a passing one. It is always complicated and I have come to realize that I can't always win, some weeks I just have to accept defeat.

Fantasy football can be very frustrated, especially when players that are projected to score a lot of points do very poorly, or sometimes don't even play! For example, this week Aaron Rodgers was projected to get 31 points, he ended up only earning me 12 points. That creates a huge set back for me because the bulk of my roster is reliant on players, such as Rodgers, doing very well. However, there are also weeks when players that are project to earn rather low points, have breakout games, which is a great surprise! Having players like that can always help balance out the players that don't do so well.

The nice thing about fantasy football is that at any point in time I can pick up another player (free agent) if I choose to drop a player on my current roster. However, trying to find decent players that haven't been picked up by other owners yet is very tricky. I have some less than desirable running backs on my team but there aren't any better ones that are free agents. This leads me to my next point; trading. Teams within the league can trade players if they choose. Not everyone is willing to trade, you have to be willing to give up one of your decent players in order to make a trade with another owner. Although fantasy football can be tough, stressful, and hard to cheer for, it is a lot of fun and very exciting.(WC 421)

No comments:

Post a Comment