Thursday, December 6, 2012

Let It Snow


When is the last time you walked outside in a t-shirt in December, and weren’t cold? Well for most of us, we can say we did last week. With temperatures nearing 70 degrees Fahrenheit in some parts of the state, it was a record braking day for sure. As we look at the forecast for December, it looks like these crazy warm trends will be coming to an end, and winter weather will be on its way!
                It is currently December 6, 2012 and we have yet to see snowfall. We have yet to see even a flurry, or even just one single snowflake. For some, this weather is perfect because it eliminates the driving hazards that come with snow, and with winter. For others, like me, this weather comes as a disappointment. I enjoy heavy snowfalls and the activities that come with them, such as skiing. Skiing isn’t the same when there isn’t any real snow on the ground. Skiing on fake snow when there is no resemblance of snow anywhere else around you is a bit eerie. I also like the challenge that comes with winter driving. Some days it will wake us up a bit more quickly, and allow us to be more alert. It always can present a challenge, one that I am excited for.
                The only thing I don’t appreciate about heavy snowfall is having to shovel. I can’t stand shoveling. It seems to take twice as long as it should, it hurts my back, and once you get done, the driveway is covered again. So instead of shoveling I resort to the snow blower. For the best 8 years we have had one of the world’s crummiest snow blowers; however my dad never understood because I was the one using it. One day last year I told him to snow blow for me because I was “studying.” He came in after completing the task and headed right to Menards to purchase a new one. He had finally understood where I was coming from. So now that we have a nice, big, powerful snow blower, I don’t mind going out and removing the snow. I just put my headphones in, and get ‘er done.  
                I’m hoping for snow in the near future (next week) but we will see. If nothing else I hope we have snow by Christmas. There is not much worse than looking out on Christmas and seeing dead grass. And there isn’t much better than looking out on Christmas morning and seeing new layer of snow. One can only hope. (WC 429)

No comments:

Post a Comment