Monday, January 28, 2013

Always an Interesting Experience.


What do you guys do when your parents tell you that you as well as your family are going to take an all day trip to learn about your family heritage? I’m guessing you would do just about the same thing I did which consisted of simply being completely reluctant to going and not budging when they say “we’re leaving!” As teenagers we can think of many different ways to spend our day than learning about our family heritage, I mean c’mon, a whole day? Are they trying to kill me?
This day started out in the Amana colonies, where by grandparents live, and my dad grew up. We first walked into a building where we were told we would eat breakfast. This building looked kind of like one of those cellars you see in old movies. It smelled like old people, and was filled with the as well! I was not about to take one bite of whatever they were about to serve me. We were all crammed into what is called a communal kitchen, and sat on hard benches. It was heated by a 200 year old wood stove (no joke) and the old ladies were cooking on a 200 year old stove top.
My dad told us to go into this with an open mind, but after being in this shack, it was very hard to do so. The ladies brought out some drinks, then some breakfast potatoes, then some homemade bread, churned butter, and handmade jelly. After that came fresh farm picked eggs, and bacon. I was literally eating my words. This was one of the best breakfasts I have ever eaten!
However, after that, we really had learned what we figured was enough we needed to know, and were hoping to go home. Nope, not the case, we then went to the Arts Guild. BOOOORRRRIINNNG. While going through it we were given the opportunity to play with the little gizmos and gadget kids played with in the 1800’s. It wasn’t so bad. Then we went through a museum which was actually kind of interesting, and then we ended the day at the Amana Bakery where we got bread, cookies, and pie. It was all very delicious.
After being very skeptical, and reluctant to go, I was glad I did. What we fail to realize, is sometimes the olden times come with some great things…especially food! So next time, if ever, your parent want to take you on a historical trip, I encourage you to go. If you go in with an open mind, you might come out with an arm full of delicious treats and interesting information. (WC443)

No comments:

Post a Comment