Thursday, January 10, 2013

Lockdown


Today we had a lockdown drill. I was probably in the worst room to be in during a lockdown. I was in Mr. Benedict’s room. One entire side is windows, and there is not enough room to hide people out of sight of the intruder. I scoped out my spot earlier, and when the drill began, went under a teacher desk, put my backpack on a chair and pull it in front of me, so I was hidden.
After the drill I started thinking, “where would I like to be in the school if we ever had to go on lockdown.” I decided that Ms. Bush’s Chemistry room would be perfect. There are about 7 different counters in the room that we could hide behind. While behind the counter we could pull out glass beakers, steel rods, Bunsen burners, and other miscellaneous equipment.  While doing that, Ms. Bush could be mixing up some solution that would burn the intruder’s eyes if he somehow entered the room. I say somehow because in order to get in there he/she would have to get through 2 huge metal doors that close of the chemistry section, then get through the room door, then enter. Very unlikely.
Not to mention that if we heard the intruder trying to get into the room we could just go to the back, and go out the back door into a stairwell that is only open to the two chemistry rooms and out the back of the school. That is if we can run really fast. If we decide going into the stairwell, or hiding behind counters aren’t good options, we could all huddle in the chemistry closet/storage room. In their there are two doors that only open with a key, a bunch of chemicals, hotplates, and other things we could use in our defense. We have already brought this up to the teacher, and we have our plan set.
I would feel a whole lot safer in her room than any other part of the school. Any other class room only has one way out, and we would all be SOL if someone got into it. Let alone Mr. Benedicts room. So pretty much what im saying is if someone is going to break in, do it during 4th hour. I would feel very confident that I would be safe and secure in the Chemistry room. (WC 397)

No comments:

Post a Comment