Monday, January 14, 2013

Many Options, Many Decisions.


It is hard to believe that one year from now I will be halfway through my senior year. Registering for next year has begun, and many people are overwhelmed with all of the options. Do I want to get to 400 credits, or get done with school at 11am? Do I want to take AP or regular? Do I want to take any courses at Kirkwood? Do I want to take any fun classes, or just get done what I have too? So many questions and all need to be answered in a matter of days.
                For me, I am in range of getting to 400 credits, but I also only need to take 3 classes to be able to graduate. As much as I just want to take those classes and get out, I know I want to what is best for my future. Therefore I will be taking many AP courses, and having a pretty close to full schedule. Not only will it look good, but it will help me decide what I want to go into. I have taken AP Language, but I plan on taking AP Literature in hopes of being more prepared for college.
                Next year I plan on Kirkwood courses such as a business course or a Physical Therapy course to help me decide what path I want to go down. Then when I get to the college I choose, I will be confident in my decision. Both Business and Physical Therapy appeal to me in multiple ways, but I have to balance the negatives. Some of those include years of schooling, salary, job security, and course work load in school.  Hopefully by taking a Kirkwood dual credit course, I can help narrow my path.
                Some people get really stressed out about the whole registration progress, and with good reason. The courses we take our senior year show a good deal of who we are both as a student and as a person in general. It tells colleges how hard we will work for the reward of a good grade, as well as if we are capable of taking college level courses. We may take one course (AP Biology for example) knowing that is the field you want to study. Then after completing the course realize you it isn’t for you. It is good to take many courses and help narrow the very large array of paths.
                With only a few days until we submit our requests, we decide whether or not we want to work hard our senior year or not. I chose to work hard rather than just scrape by. I believe it will not only better prepare me for the future, but allow me to fully enjoy and live out my senior year of high school. (WC 466)

No comments:

Post a Comment